Advance Housing, Inc. is a nonprofit agency located in Bergen, Passaic, and Sussex Counties that provides community support services to individuals suffering from mental illness. Currently we have full-time case management positions open in our Teterboro office.
Community Integration Counselor
Position Summary: Provides support services to adults with serious mental illness to promote the achievement of community integration and valued life roles in the social, employment, educational, or housing domains. Conducts individual supportive counseling and group activities with consumers in the program. Functions as an active member of the clinical team and provides after hours on-call support to consumers in crisis.
- Support consumers in achieving mental health rehabilitative and recovery goals as identified in the individualized recovery plan, and in accordance with Community Support Services model. Ensure that a minimum of 55% of work hours are spent rendering face to face Community Support Services to consumers.
- Promote the process of wellness and recovery with an emphasis on individual dignity and respect. Build upon consumer strengths to address needs, preferences, goals, and valued life roles.
- Provide direct services that address consumer skill development to self-manage their illness and improve their quality of life. This includes but is not limited to application of Illness Management and Recovery model.
- Provide crisis intervention services when needed and in accordance with agency Policies and Procedures.
- Coordinate consumers’ services which may involve collaboration with internal and community providers, family members, community resources, and/or entitlements.
- Function as a team member: cover shifts and duties as needed, facilitate group activities, participate in program activities, communicate all relevant information to other team members and departments.
- Ensure all clinical and administrative documentation is completed with accuracy, timeliness, and in accordance with State and Federal Regulations and agency Policy and Procedures.
- Manages on-call responsibilities as designated by department.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the helping professions such as social work, human services, counseling, psychiatric rehabilitation, psychology, or criminal justice OR Bachelor’s degree in a non human services related discipline and at least two years of professional experience in a community behavioral healthcare setting. Certification as a psychiatric rehabilitation practitioner may be substituted for one year of experience.
- At least one year of mental health/human services experience in a community behavioral healthcare setting is preferred, in addition to any experience utilized to satisfy the educational requirement above.
- Valid Driver’s License is required. Must be 21 years of age or older.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Superb organizational and time management skills
- Sound clinical skills such as empathy, genuineness, insight, judgment, and professionalism
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Skilled in conflict mediation/negotiation and has an assertive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to work effectively with community service system
- Knowledge of Code of Ethics as applicable to field of study
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries per Code of Ethics
- Culturally competent
- Ability to maintain confidentiality per HIPAA and other applicable laws and regulations
- Basic computer skills including internet, email, word processing, etc.
Job Type: Full-time
- behavioral health/human services: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)